Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Friday, February 22, 2013

Disneyland 2013

Aww...fresh air, blue skies, and flowers. Just what the doctor ordered after months of living in Iceland USA.  The warm temperature and beautiful scenery boosted our spirits a little, not to mentioned the main reason of our vacation....DISNEYLAND!

The happiest place on earth, did not disappoint.  We loved our 3 day adventure to one of our favorite places, Disneyland, and California Adventure.  Our personal guides, and favorite friends, made it extra fun!  The Larsen family came equipped with pedometers (that's right two),  comfortable walking shoes, and big smiles!  They know how to get the most out of Disneyland, that's for sure.

Each day began at 7:30 for a quick breakfast, and off to the park by eight.  We stayed all day until 10:30 or 11:00, while Mike and Lindsey kept the candle burning until midnight.  There wasn't a ride we missed. The crowds were minimal on the first two days.  When the weekend arrived, it got crowded.  No worries!  Since running in the park is prohibited, Molly the famous speed walker, would quickly get us fast passes, and the best place in line.  When she began sprinting through Cars Land, jumping over "Red" (the fire engine), to get our spot on the new Cars ride, we began to understand her dedication to her title as "Head Guide".  Just kidding Molly, but if you haven't seen Molly speed walk, it's impressive!

Ben became known as the Churro Man.  He brought his own money from home, $48 to be exact.  He bought a $10 souvenir, and other than that.....churros.  Whenever we couldn't find Ben, we would find him waiting in line for a churro or churro in hand.  Molly finally told Ben, "If you ever get lost, go directly to a churro stand.  We will find you." Ben even bought one for his sister.  Let me explain.

Ben went on every ride at both Disneyland and California Adventure.  Sometimes we would forget that he is only 10 and would enjoy some of the "kid" rides.  We did stop for rides in Bug's Life, Toon Town, Car's Land, and Fantasyland. Besides, the "little kid" rides, he would bravely ride all the scary rides with us.  The only ride he wouldn't ride is California Screamin'.

One day, all of us decided to go on Screamin', but Ben.  I told him to take the backpack, and Lizzy's phone, and wait for us on a bench until the ride was over.  The line was a little long, so I started calling him to make sure he was ok.  No one answered.  We decided that maybe he just didn't hear the phone ring.  When we got off of our ride, we found Ben sitting in a corner by the exit waiting for us.  What a good boy.  We quickly ran over to Toy Story to get in line, when I asked Ben for the backpack.  As I grabbed the backpack it felt....different.  I opened it up, only to find all of our belongings in 4 inches of water.  To make matters worse, Ben had placed Lizzy's phone in the backpack to avoid loosing it. Dang! There was her phone floating in water along with our other belongings.

It took me just a minute to figure out what had happened.  The kids were thirsty, so I bought two water bottles.  Ben had opened one while we were on our ride, got a drink, and placed it in the backpack without the lid on tight. Oh dear! Molly and I took all the belongings out to air dry them, but the phone would not turn on. Ben felt horrible, that he had ruined Lizzy's phone.

Minutes before we got on the ride Ben bolted out of line.  He didn't explain where he was going, he just left.  I jumped out of line to go looking for him.  I thought perhaps he had to use the restroom, and went looking that direction.  My phone rang and Mike said, "He's at the churro stand."  When I arrived at the churro stand, Ben had a big smile, he told me he was buying a churro for Lizzy since he ruined her phone.  How sweet!  I told him how thoughtful that was, and hurried over to the ride as everyone was getting on.  I smooth talked the workers, to get us to the front of the line with the rest of our crew.

At the end of the ride, Ben gave Lizzy the churro.  They hugged, exchanged pleasantries, and moved on.  Lizzy was brave to forgive and to move on without holding a grudge.  And the cute little Churro Man, just warmed my heart.

I faced one of my fears on this trip.  In the past, I have hugely disliked the Tower of Terror. I decided to be brave, and ride it along with everyone else.  After about the 4th time, I quite liked it.  We tried to get me to face another fear of Finding Nemo, but it didn't work.  Dang, those submarines! Last minute, I ran!  Yep, I made everyone stand up and move while I quickly exited.  The offered me an "alternative experience" (a movie in a room for the scaredey cats), but I declined.  Maybe, if they had offered popcorn with the movie:).

I lost a bet on Tower of Terror, so on Splash Mountain.....well.....let's just say I might have had an embarrassing moment. End of story, and those of you with me, are forbidden to tell that story!

Disneyland couldn't have been better!  We had a lot of laughs, and loved it!  Our pedometers registered around 15 miles per day.  Holy cow!  I think I may have walked a marathon.  Maybe that will be my next adventure, or....maybe not!

The entrance to the Happiest Place On Earth
Alice In Wonderland.  We even hit a few kiddie rides.
Lizzy found her own favorite spot.
Ben with Lightning Mcqueen.
Mike on the carousel.  He needed some "alone" time.
Molly and I at World of Color.
Splash Mountain.
Tower of Terror....  YOLO (You Only Live Once).
The Churro Man.
Toon Town, Splash Mountain, and Screamin.
Catching up with some old friends.
The Rides.
World of Color, and Fantasmic.
Parades

3 comments:

Bexie Funk said...

Ben's so sweet! i hope my kids are that thoughtful in the future.

Unknown said...

Such a fun trip! I'm so glad we got to go with you guys.

Sarah Hansen said...

So jealous! Maybe next year!!